The Milwaukee Brewers are adding a new sausage to the race, the chorizo. So that’s five, count ’em five, racing sausages from which you can chose to wager on: the hot dog, the Polish sausage, the bratwurst, the Italian, and now the chorizo. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. The Brewers are trying to attract more Hispanics to the audience, and this is just one way to do it. Yes, it’s pandering to one ethnic group. So what?
But I have some questions regarding the new racing sausage:
- If I continue to bet on the Polish, do I run the risk of being called ethnocentric?
- If I put ketchup on my chorizo, is that racist?
- Will the Milwaukee Brewers stop selling French’s mustard and relish on Cinco De Mayo?
- When are the Brewers coming out with Secret Stadium Salsa?
- If the Brewer employee wearing the chorizo costume clowns around instead of running a serious race, will they run the risk of perpetuating the racist stereotype that Mexicans are slow and lazy?
- Will Rob Edwards be forced to learn Spanish? Will he have to call the race in Spanish?
- If Randall Simon whacks this sausage with a bat, will it spark an international incident? Will he be charged with a hate crime?
- If they get Dos Equis to be the sponsor, can we have the giant beer mug back?
- Do Muslims and Jews get offended by running pork products?
And if you haven’t yet checked it out, Dennis York reports there are already problems with the Milwaukee Brewers’ latest employee.